Thursday, January 22, 2015

My Friend the Internet


I was born in 1951. I'd have to think about it but it is very possible that, in my opinion, the internet is finest invention to come along in my lifetime. The computer and antibiotics proceeded my birth, as did the television.

Not every First World citizen would agree with my assessment, of course, particularly older folks. I have some older friends who know nothing of the Net, and don't want to know. And there are others who are internet literate but simply have other interests.

The internet now takes up more of my leisure time than does its rival; the television. In fact, I think the internet might be winning at a 2 to 1 ratio. Part of it is that I often watch TV shows on the Net, particularly shows from the distant past such as It Takes a Thief, Combat!, and Maverick. I watch a lot of Youtube educational videos too. Yesterday I clicked onto a video taken from inside of a WWII B-17 in flight. That was kind of cool.

I keep in contact with a lot of old friends over the internet, either through email, or Facebook. I know what many of my high school classmates are up to these days, thanks to the internet. These were classmates 45 years ago. Such a thing was unheard of, pre Net. Unfortunately, through the internet I have been made aware of the those who have died too.

I pay my bills on the Net. I rarely write a check anymore. I've made all kinds of reservations over the internet too. I've made doctor appointments. In fact, I've gotten doctors' opinions over the internet.

But the thing I like most about the Net is just playing and/or making a nuisance out of myself. In my case, playing, and being a nuisance, are kind of one and the same. I actually have some social "causes", none of which I would have engaged in if not for the ease of the Net and the anonymity it provides. So now and then I will click into some interactive internet forum or website, just to straighten out some misguided folks. Of course I'm not so serious about any of my causes that I would insult or cuss out someone online. I am "playing" after all. Still, there is nothing quite so invigorating as telling people how to think, specifically how to think about religion, race, and the environment. Sometimes I will even get philosophical over the internet. The philosophical things I confer may be ignored, as they are in my real life offline, but when they are posted on the Net, I don't know that my musings are ignored. It is a kind of odd, blissful ignorance, all thanks to my friend; the internet.  

 

No comments: