Tuesday, November 12, 2013

An Ordinary Guy's Daydream (By guest blogger Sherman Langston)

Over the last twenty-five years or so I have occasionally encountered the attractive woman in my travels. This woman, whoever she may be, is of course lovely, friendly, and vivacious, as these are the very ingredients that make her attractive. Sometimes this beguiling creature is so attractive, so alluring, that I have at times become smitten by her charms. Unfortunately I am ordinary, and she is not, and so she has been out of reach. But though I am ordinary, I have always been capable of a daydream.

Sherman Langston
Often these flights of fancy begin by my saying to the woman something like, “I am playing at an outdoor concert tonight. Why don’t you come by? It’s free.”

Of course she would be surprised by my revelation and quickly reply, “You play a musical instrument?”

I would nod and modestly, humorously say, “Yes. I’ll be the guy playing the violin.” In these daydreams I am generally playing either the violin or the guitar. Sometimes I will play the guitar and then later in the concert play the violin, or vice versa. Of course in reality I can play neither. This is, after all, a daydream. Still flabbergasted by my disclosure, the alluring woman slowly nods and manages to murmur, “Maybe I’ll drop by.”

Later that night I am playing the violin beautifully. In my hands the instrument’s strings sing out in a heavenly refrain. Then, between songs, I gaze out into the small but attentive audience and I see her sitting by herself. Of course she is not only there, but also there alone, after all, what kind of daydream would it be if the lady were a no-show, or there with a man? I step up to the microphone and calmly announce, “This next piece is for a friend of mine who took time out of her evening to accept an invitation.” I then commence playing a song so tender, so entrancing, that the lady cannot hold in her tears. To her, I am ordinary no longer.

Some daydreaming guys will envision themselves rescuing the damsel from evil-doers. Instead of playing the violin, they will have infinite bravery and know karate. And there are other guys who will imagine themselves as brilliant doctors, miraculously saving the beautiful woman from some deadly disease. But for me, musical talent is my imagined weapon against real-life commonality.   

Oddly, the daydream has never gotten beyond that concert. There has never been a second chapter that has her with me afterwards. I’m not sure why I stop the daydream there. It could be that the first chapter of the daydream is all I really want and nothing else is necessary. It could be simply a matter of being beyond ordinary to a captivating lady, if only in a daydream. Yes, I think that's probably it. 

No comments: