Friday, May 31, 2013

A Last Will and Testament... Sort Of



I am 62 years old. Now and then over the last forty years I have been told that I will not live forever. I’m starting to believe it. I have had a couple of friends die of what are essentially age-related illnesses. In my family, the preceding generation is almost all gone. There are a couple of non-blood-related aunts that are in their 90s and still living. I think that’s about two people out of twenty or so that made up that generation in my family. Personally, I am in good health, but I can sometimes tell that I am no longer 18 years old. I have chronic inflammation in my right heel. I have occasional back pain. It’s just a few little things, at least for now.

One day, hopefully 30+ years from now, I will wake up with a pain in the area of a vital organ, or it might be I awake with numbness in my arms, or slurred speech, and I’ll soon be informed by a medical professional that my days are numbered. Like I said; hopefully this will be decades from now, but it could conceivably be tomorrow, so I might as well be at least somewhat prepared.

I have wondered what friends and family would think about my time here on earth, looking back on it in retrospect. Someone might ponder what I thought about my own life, such as it was. Have I had a happy life? Well here it is; I have had a great time. To any friend or family member who might read this wacky blog after my demise, know that I have had a marvelous run and my regrets are far and few between.

Looking back, I broke a few hearts, regretfully. But I have had my own heart broken a time or two also, so maybe that’s just the way it is with life. Fact is; I have known love, beauty, excitement, and laughter, sometimes in pretty large doses. I have tried to share the joy as much as possible. When it comes right down to it; I really don’t think I have been all that bad a human being. Hopefully others will think the same thing.

I must admit that sometimes I think it is too bad that I never discovered the cure for cancer, or developed a space craft that could whisk passengers to Mars, but the fact of the matter is; I was never capable of achieving those aspirations, so the personal disappointment is minimal. If I were about to bid my final adieu, the only sorrow I would feel about my life in general is that it did not go on longer, keeping in mind that as of today it has gone on for a while now, and I am owed nothing. Quite the contrary; I am thankful for the time I've had.           

No comments: